5.3 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Malang
jpnn.com, MALANG - An earthquake with a 5.3 magnitude shook the Malang regency in East Java on Friday (22/10) morning.
Head of the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG)'s Malang geophysics station, Ma'mur, said the earthquake occurred 78 kilometers southwest of Malang.
According to Ma'mur, the earthquake was caused by an activity in the southern subduction zone.
"There is no potential for a tsunami," he said on Friday (22/10).
The earthquake, which occurred at a depth of 33 kilometers, was categorized as a shallow earthquake, he added.
His institution was still collecting reports related to the damage caused by the earthquake, and the BMKG Malang was mapping out the affected areas.
Malang resident Aris Midaada said that the earthquake had occurred for approximately 20 seconds.
"When I was about to leave the house, it suddenly rocked, and the vibration was strong," he said.
An 5.3-magnitude earthquake shook the Malang regency in East Java.
- 5-Magnitude Earthquake Strikes North Maluku
- Tunjungan Plaza Mall in Surabaya Catches Fire
- 5.2-Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Kendari, Southeast Sulawesi
- 5.5-Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Sukabumi
- 5.0-Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Sorong City, West Papua
- Pasaman Earthquake Kills At Least Three, Displaces Thousands